Thursday, February 25, 2010

Race for the Cure & Fight against Breast Cancer

As I wrote in my last post 'Training'; we did the Race for the Cure on Sunday and it was amazing to see all of the supporters and survivors participating. Saturday morning I went to our mall: Cielo Vista to volunteer with a new group I am now working with called; Volunteers with Energy. They are partnered with Texas Gas which helps out our FRG. Myself and 3 other wives went to help sign people up to do the Race for the Cure on Sunday; it was a very exciting and emotional day. Many of the other women helping sign people up for the walk were Survivors. It is a great feeling to be around women who have truly fought for their life and made it!


Friday night was very windy (as in 65 MPH winds) and Saturday ended up being very chilly and windy as well (but only about 20 MPH). This was very disappointing seens how Friday was about 75 degrees and I had pulled out some spring clothes. There were about 16,000 people at the walk, it took us 30 minutes to get from where we were in the starting line after the gun was shot! But we had a fabulous team of 13 people from Apache Troop (Hubby's work). Here are a few pictures.

Our team name "Taking the GIRLS for a Walk"

My supporter & I 
All of the awesome Hubby's

All of the wives :)

TONS of supporters!!

We all know I LOVE my ZTA's

After the walk on Sunday we came home and took a little nap before going out for our 99 min run seems how the big event is just around the corner! But this is nothing compared to my Mom and Sisters who took part in The National Fight against Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville, Florida.
 
My Mom after 26.2
 
Emily after 13.1
 
Laruen after 6.2

Just a few facts:

  1. Every 13 minutes a woman dies of breast cancer

  2. You are NEVER too YOUNG to develop breast cancer

  3. One in eight women or 12.6% of all women will get breast cancer in her lifetime

  4. Diet and exercise make a difference

  5. For more information go to Susan G. Komen website
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I'm so proud of all of you, especially your mom and your sisters. What amazing women! I can't believe I didnt' see you guys out there. I was visiting at the CAV headquarters today. Maybe one of these days I'll run into your husband and ask to meet you! Or I'll ask Mrs. Jacobi about you--I just realized that I don't know your last name and I manage all of 3-1's personnel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that is crazy...my Last name is Behnke! I am sure we have to meet soon, we are always in the same places at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

background